Young Astronaut Day is a STEM outreach event for students in grades 1-12. Every year since 1992, NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, OH hosts students from grades 1st-12th to compete in hands-on activities related to engineering problem solving. These range from pasta towers and egg drops to lego robots. The activities vary from year to year and all have an aerospace theme. Ribbons are awarded to the top three teams of each activity. During the day, the students also engage in the ‘Canstruction®’ community service activity. In partnership with Herschman Architects, the students assemble an aerospace themed structure (like the space shuttle or Curiosity rover) out of donated canned foods. The day long activity includes a presentation from a NASA astronaut, lunch, and a full afternoon of competition.
The 24th Annual Young Astronaut Day is planned for
Saturday November 5, 2016
At the NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, OH
Follow us on twitter! @YoungAstroDay
***Attention: There will be changes to the teams for 2016. YAD will no longer be held in the NASA Hangar and will be moved to a smaller location at NASA Glenn. Due to the location change we have to limit the team sizes. Details can be found in the Team Information below. ***
Interested in entering for a chance for your team to participate in Young Astronaut Day 2016? Click here for the entry page.
- Please see the Registration link for details on how your team can enter to participate.
- Pilot Teams: students from grades 1st – 6th
- Commander Teams: students from grades 7th – 12th
- Only one Pilot and Commander Team per school system or organization.
- New in 2016: Teams must consist of 6-7 students and up to 2 chaperones.
- All students and chaperones must be U.S. citizens.
- Registration fee is $10 per person.
- The event typically starts at 10am (9:30 packet pickup) and ends at 3pm.
- No pre-work for the competition events is required. You will be provided with all materials needed for each activity. You only need to bring yourselves and your enthusiasm!
If you have any question contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
2015 Young Astronaut Day